In last week’s post on the 7-Skin Method, I briefly touched on essences and how they can be used for this technique. But if you’re like me and have been intrigued by and am attempting to keep up the Korean Skincare regime, you might be stumbled by that step in between applying a toner and applying a serum – essences.
Just so we’re all on the same page, here is what all ten (yes, 10!) steps of the skincare regime looks like:
- Oil cleanser: Removes make-up and facial sebum
- Foam cleanser: Removes other impurities, like the remnants of sweat on your skin, or dirt
- Exfoliator: Unclogs your pores and takes off the layer of dead skin cells
- Toner: Mildly cleanses the skin and lightly hydrates it so other products can be absorbed better
- Essence: Treatment
- Serum, boosters, ampoules: Treatment (optional)
- Mask: Usually done twice a week, and dependent on individual skin concerns
- Eye Cream: For undereye concerns
- Face cream/Moisturiser: Seals in the moisture
- Sun screen: Protects against sun damage
So what exactly is an Essence and what does it do?
Coined a ‘miracle water’ by the Korean and Japanese, this lightweight treatment does have a watery appearance, and sinks right into your skin with a few pats. They typically contain highly concentrated active ingredients that optimize your skin’s natural cell turnover rate. These essences target wrinkles, fine lines, and dull and uneven skin tones. You might be able to see the most results from an essence than any other product in your skincare regime because it actually treats the skin on a cellular level!
If you’re still wondering why you need an essence in your routine, think of it as the building blocks of your natural skin barrier. They hydrate and prep your skin for the steps to follow, resulting in gorgeously plump and soft skin that we all desire.
To apply, you can either soak a cotton pad and swipe it onto your skin, or pour it straight onto your palms and pat it onto your skin.
Where can I get one of these Essences?
I’m super excited to let you know that we here at Lily Vanity have not just curated one, but TWO insanely popular essences!!
The Missha Time Revolution First Treatment Essence and Secret Key Starting Treatment Essence have been raved about all over the internet, and for great reasons. Both of these contain high concentrations of fermented ingredients which will help you get that lit from within glow, turning back the clock and giving you firm and plump skin.
Their main difference is that the Missha one is more suitable for dry and sensitive skin, while the Secret Key one works wonders for those with oily skin types. Either way, we hope you love these products as much as we do!